I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about my learning project and started searching the internet for different baking and decorating ideas! Pinterest has been my go-to website because there are so many amazing ideas and creations! I especially love how people are able to post comments and picture reviews about the recipes and decorating techniques they have tried! These comments allow for the reader to see how successful others were in following the recipes and whether or not different modifications need to be made in order to achieve the best results! The comments also allow for people to share tips and tricks, something I find to be very helpful!
After pinning a handful of ideas, I found a link to a website called The Scran Line. When I visited this website, my jaw dropped! The website features different cake and cupcake tutorials with step-by-step videos and recipes! While this is something many baking websites do, I can assure you that this is no ordinary website! The cakes and cupcakes are beyond amazing! The flavour combinations and extravagant decorations are enough to make anyone drool! The only problem I had now was deciding which recipe to try first…!
Considering how it was my mom’s birthday on the weekend, I decided that I would let her pick what kind of cupcakes I would be making! Her decision was easily made as soon as she saw the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes!
These cupcakes consist of a chocolate cake base, peanut butter chips, a fluffy peanut butter buttercream frosting, a chocolate filling, and topped with chopped peanuts and peanut butter cups! The description alone is enough to make your mouth water!
Okay enough chatting, let’s get started!
Step 1: Making the Cupcakes
The first step in creating these cupcakes was to gather my ingredients for the chocolate cupcake base! The recipe calls for:
I used a food scale to measure my ingredients out but if you don’t have one, you can click here and it will take you to a website that allows you to convert the measurements so they are easier to use! Using measuring cups is what i prefer but I also know that using a scale is a lot more accurate when it comes to baking measurements!
I started by mixing my dry ingredients in my stand mixer. Once the ingredients were combined, I added the softened butter. Finally, I added the wet ingredients and mixed until well combined! I made sure to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides to ensure all the ingredients were incorporated well.
I then used an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way. The ice cream scoop is a great tool because it ensures that all of the cupcakes are filled to the same level and will therefore all bake evenly! The recipe calls for sprinkling peanut butter chips on top of the cupcakes before baking but I didn’t have any so I went without them in hopes of the frosting to bring enough peanut butter flavour! I then placed the cupcakes in the oven at 350 degrees and let them bake for about 18 minutes.
*Note: the recipe calls for the cupcakes to bake for 20-25 minutes but my oven gets really hot so they didn’t take that long. I recommend watching the baking process closely to make sure they don’t burn!
I baked the cupcakes the night before I decorated them so they had time to cool. If you plan on doing everything in one day make sure you let the cupcakes cool or the frosting will melt and you’ll have a big mess!
Step 2: Preparing the Frosting, Filling, and Toppings
- Frosting: My next step was to create the rest of the components for the cupcakes! I used The Scran Line’s Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe and added 3 tablespoons of peanut butter just like the recipe says!
- After beating the butter for a few minutes, I slowly added the icing sugar and vanilla. I allowed the icing to mix for 4-5 minutes until it became light and fluffy! I then stirred in 3 (generous) tablespoons of peanut butter and voila! We now have fluffy peanut butter buttercream frosting!
- Chocolate Filling: I then made my chocolate filling, which was super easy! I combined my chocolate, cream, brown sugar, and vanilla and microwaved it! Simple, yet delicious!
- Toppings: The toppings were very easy to make! I just chopped a handful of peanuts and 8 mini peanut butter cups!
Step 3: Assembling the Cupcakes!
Now that I have prepared all my components, it’s time to assemble my cupcakes. I cleared off a large space on the counter and set up my supplies. The video below is a walkthrough of my decorating process!
Final Thoughts & Comments:
Thanks for following my first cupcakes decorating adventure! I am quite pleased with the way things turned out and think that this was the perfect choice for a first attempt!
Things I would do differently:
- Use a different piping tip: although I used the piping tip that the recipe recommends, I would use a different tip in order to create more of a design! This wouldn’t actually change the cupcake that much but I think they would look fancier!
- Make the hole for the filling shallower: I think i made the hole too deep in the cupcake because the filling went all the way to the bottom of the cupcake when it was supposed to stop in the middle
- Remember the peanut butter chips: I thought that the peanut butter frosting would make up for the missing peanut butter chips but I would recommend using the chips because the chocolate flavour is almost overpowering the peanut butter flavour without them.
Difficulty level: 3/10 (easy)
Would I make again: YES!
All in all, this cupcake attempt was a huge success! My mom loved them and so did everyone else who tried them! They are super sweet so if you aren’t into sweet things these aren’t the cupcakes for you! I loved The Scran Line website and will be using it again in the future! Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my next baking adventure!